Baby Sleep Coach
Frequently Asked Questions?
Does your baby have a difficult time falling asleep on his/her own, or waking frequently throughout the night? Are naps difficult? Summer will come in and customize a plan that the family can implement immediately. Summer has a proven method of developing sleep plans through collaboration with you, based on your life and parenting style.
Consultations offered: newborn consult, new parent consult, infant sleep shaping, sleep training, feeding issues, reflux, colic support, toddler behavioral support.
Each week I receive calls and emails from parents asking about sleep training their little ones. The question arises often in regards to what method do you use? The summer method is a combination of methods. We adapt to each family based on parenting style.
One question is do you teach a CIO approach?
The true definition of CIO (aka extinction method) is when you leave your child for 6 hours or longer with no check-ins. You can read the Behavioral Treatment of Bedtime Problems and Night Wakings in Infants and Young Children a Reseach study conducted by An American Academy of Sleep Medicine Review.
What is Summer’s Method and Tips?
First off you do not have to do cry it out approach. So, what are some good tips to sleep train your baby?
- Set a good bedtime routine, I suggest parents pick a consistent bedtime each night.
- Lay your baby in the crib as soon as your done nursing/bottle feeding. Drowsy but awake try soothing with your hand on the tummy and shush sounds.
- If your baby does cry, you can pick up and soothe. Make sure to check for a burp. As soon as calm about 30 seconds lay back down.
- Is your child standing? If so, you need to gently guide to a sitting position and teach them to lay down. This process can take 3-5 days with frequent check-ins.
- This is a nudge approach you are guiding your child to sleep. Make sure to repeat as needed and be consistent.
- Place your hand on baby’s tummy to soothe. As soon as baby calms, you can leave the room repeat as needed.
- Your child begins to cry again. At this point, you can pick up, but only for 30 seconds, giving enough time to settle down, not go to sleep.
- If your baby/child becomes upset with your hand on tummy, us shushing sounds to soothe and try avoiding touch.
- Every time your child wakes you can wait 5-10 minutes to see if they settle on their own or you can do the above process.
- If you want a faster approach with a modified CIO it is available along with the science behind why it does work.
- Do you co-sleep? Lots of families will co-sleep, here are some guidelines to follow here. The AAP Guidelines does not suggest co-sleeping but keep baby in the room for 6 months.
Why Hire a Baby Sleep Consultant/Baby Sleep Coach?
You can check out my tips here, but a sleep coach looks at the whole picture. One focus is the daytime routine and how many ounces your baby consumes. This is where it is helpful to hire a baby sleep coach, that will make a personalized sleep plan. What about the pesky sleep regression (a.k.a. transition)? Transitions are periods when a baby or child is having a growth spurt! We help adjust your baby during this period. Each family will need to fill out a questionnaire with details about babies day.
Follow Up and Returning Client Support $ 195
- For returning clients who desire additional coaching with their sleep plan, or a refresher to get things back on track after an illness, travel, time change, relocation or developmental milestone.
- 1 hour typically includes: Updated intake form + current sleep log evaluation 30-minute call + My recommendations and notes from our call emailed to you within 24 hours. *I may make adjustments to how this 1 hour is used, depending on what best meets your specific needs.